When it comes to storing important documents and valuables, getting the best fireproof document bag is essential. But how do you choose a fireproof bag and what are your best options? Find out now.
There are several paper documents that need protection such as wills, birth certificates, passports, social security cards, and property and insurance records. Whether you’re keeping them at home or bringing them to work, proper safekeeping should be top of mind.
One of the most terrible things that can happen to your important documents and valuables is them getting burned in a fire. Your documents could turn to ashes in seconds, and it would be a pain to try to secure them again. Fortunately, you can use fireproof document bags and envelopes to protect such things in cases of fires.
But since there are too many fireproof bags in the market, ranging in construction, design, and level of fire resistance, we believe it is important that you know what your best options are. And to help you get to that, first, you should know what you need to look for in a fireproof document bag or envelope.
Why Do You Need a Fireproof Document Bag?
Fire is like a thief in the night. It can take lives, damage properties, and burn valuables swiftly. Fires can cause panic, so it’s best to try to protect your valuables beforehand.
Using a fireproof document bag is one of the best ways to safely keep important papers. It serves as a fire-resistant storage space for things like your original birth certificates, marriage certificates, property contracts, insurance records, passports, photos, identity cards, and even some cash.
With fireproof document bags, your valuables won’t be as vulnerable to open flames. And if you’re able to evacuate quickly, those important papers and valuables won’t get damaged by fire. But since a fireproof document bag can only withstand fire to some extent, it is best to use it along with a reliable fireproof safe to maximize protection and safety.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you for purchases made through these links. Disclosure.
How to Choose a Fireproof Document Envelope
Keep important documents, photos, cash, cards, and passports in a fireproof envelope. These envelopes are less bulky than fireproof bags, making them ideal for safekeeping documents at home or when you travel.
Here’s what you need to look for in a fireproof document envelope:
3 Layers of Fireproof Materials
Many products these days only use two materials: silicone coating and fiberglass. The best fireproof document envelopes or bags should have an aluminum layer on the inside to reinforce their ability to protect your documents against heat and fires. Silicone coating and fiberglass cloth are resistant to flames, while aluminum lining gives the bag added protection against fires.
The Thickness of the Silicone Coating
Thin silicone coating can burn easily and feels itchy especially when it only barely covers fiberglass cloth. Also, the thickness of the silicone coating doesn’t just indicate the bag’s ability to tolerate fire, but also how comfortable it would be to carry around.
Fire Resistance of Materials
It is wise to opt for fireproof bags with a UL 94 rating, which indicates that they use materials that are rated to resist fires and melting.
It is also important to choose a fireproof bag with outstanding lockability mechanisms as you will be storing very important documents here.
Another important thing to consider is that it has waterproof zippers. This gives the bag an extra layer of protection should it get drenched when the sprinklers come on. Having a flap or sturdy velcro over the zippers also further reinforces the security of the bag.
Top Fireproof Document Envelopes
1. MAVEKK Fireproof Document Bag and Cash Bag Set
At the top of our list for document bags is, of course, our very own MAVEKK Fireproof Document and Cash Bag Set. We ensured that this bag has a thick silicone coating so it feels soft to the touch and more fire-resistant. Our manufacturer tested the materials we used to make the bags so they can withstand up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of time.
It is also waterproof, thanks to its sealed, water-resistant zippers that keep your legal documents dry and secure even when sprayed with a high-pressure hose.
This particular pouch can keep most of your legal-size files, jewelry, passport, licenses and cards, and cash.
- Has 3 layers of fireproof materials.
- Its aluminum lining is thick
- Comes with waterproof zippers
- Has a thick velcro flap
- Comes with cash envelopes that can hold a lot of cash and even phone
- Has a string, making it easier to carry around during travel.
- Grab and go sizes
Just like any other fireproof document bag, the zippers of these envelopes are not heat resistant. The zippers are made of plastic material which could melt when in contact with high temperatures, rendering the contents vulnerable to burning. It is, however, protected by a thick flap that is resistant to fire.
2. Andyer Upgraded Two Pockets Fireproof Document Bag
This fireproof envelope pouch is rated to stand extremely high temperatures, even up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. The pouch is booth fireproof due to its triple layer of silicone-coated fiberglass that can effectively repel flames.
What I like about this product is that it also comes with a reflective strip design so that it’s easier for you to locate and grab in case of fires.
- Fire retardant materials – It also has three layers of fire-resistant construction which give your documents and files immense security and protection.
- Also waterproof – Its waterproof zipper gives contents protection against water damage.
- Light and portable – so easy to carry your important papers around while working or traveling.
- Zippers are not heat resistant – The zippers are made of plastic which could melt when in contact with high temperatures, rendering the contents vulnerable to burning.
3. SentrySafe Fire and Water Resistant Bag with Zipper for Documents
Designed to house your important documents and valuables as a go-to bag in case of a fire emergency, this fireproof document bag aims to protect your documents and valuables during brief fire exposure. It measures 5 x 11 x 15 inches, perfect for document storage, photos, USB flash drives, and other small valuables.
The exterior is made of silicone-coated fiberglass while the inside is aluminized fiberglass, lending it protection against fire and water. This SentrySafe fireproof document bag is designed as part of a bigger fire protection system and is best stored in a UL-rated fireproof safe.
- Compact Design
- Durable construction
- We like the closure which includes snaps. It is easier to open than a velcro flap.
- The fire-resistance rating is not indicated. It is most likely designed to stand brief fires only and may burn in case of severe fires.
How to Choose a Fireproof Document Bag
The same criteria for choosing a fireproof envelope apply when shopping for a fireproof bag. You want to focus on the type and fire resistance of materials. We’re going to throw in another factor, though: compartments for organizing documents.
- 3 Layers of fireproof materials (silicone coating, fiberglass cloth, and aluminum lining)
- The thickness of the silicone coating
- Fire resistance of materials
- Compartments for organizing documents – This allows you to organize documents accordingly so you can easily group them together and find what you’re looking for easily. It’s also good to invest in a bigger fireproof document bag than you think you would need. We often accumulate more important documents than we get rid of them.
4. ALORVA Fireproof and Waterproof Document Bag
The Alorva Fireproof and Waterproof Document Bag is one of the most unique fire resistance bags as it was designed by firefighters. It is constructed with two layers of silicone-coated fiberglass, allowing it to withstand up to 1100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Its key features include a reflective tape so that it’s easier to spot when evacuating in the middle of the night. It is also light and ergonomic, as it comes with an adjustable shoulder strap so you easily grab it and go during an emergency.
- Tested by firefighters – This fireproof document bag went through rigorous testing performed by firefighters, confirming that it can withstand exposure to extreme heat, temperature, and water.
- it comes with a detachable fireproof pouch to store smaller essentials like passports, cards, and keys.
- Constructed with high-quality fireproof materials. The document bag is made with a liquid-coated silicone cloth on the outside and a PVC-coated fiberglass cloth inside.
- Laboratory tested – It has a UL 94 rating.
- The carrying handle and shoulder strap are not fire-resistant.
- Not designed for storage of bulky items like thick folders, binders, and photo albums.
If you’ve got a lot of documents, files, and records to store, the Cioey Fireproof Document Bag is one of your best options. It is a good-sized document bag that can hold a lot of your important papers and documents, cash, passports, jewelry, and even electronics like a tablet and laptop.
One of its most unique features compared to other fireproof bags is that it comes with an insulated mid-layer. The bag’s exterior is made of a waterproof silicone to protect your valuables from water damage, the interior is an aluminum foil coated fiberglass for added security and comfort (does not feel itchy). Right in the middle is a specialized thermal layer that reinforces its security against fire, allowing it to withstand up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit of raging flames.
We appreciate that it is well-built and roomy. It comes with a velcro flap and sturdy lockable zippers to protect all your contents. Plus, it has a wide opening so you can easily put in or remove bulky items like photo albums, records, and binders.
- Durable and professional-looking – although this is a good-sized fireproof document bag, it comes looks clean and sleek so you can take it with you to work or travels. It is strong and well-built, allowing you to carry all your important documents wherever you go.
- The lockable zippers add more security.
- Thermal insulated mid-layer for better fire resistance. The bag can withstand up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit, making it one of the highest-rated fire-resistant bags on the market.
- You have to purchase a lock separately.
- There are no inner compartments – it’s basically a box-type fireproof bag, so organizing your documents and valuables can be a challenge.
6. BLOKKD Fireproof Document Bag
Blokkd is one of the most popular names when it comes to fireproof bags. This Blokkd fireproof bag measures 13 x 16 x 5 inches and comes with a wide opening and extra exterior pockets for smaller items.
It is a good-sized document bag than can comfortably hold a lot of your valuables, including important documents such as wills and birth certificates, jewelry, photos, electronic files in flash drives or compact discs, as well as your devices like tablets and laptops.
The Blokkd fireproof document bag has a lot of useful features. First of all, it’s rated UL 94 V-O Standard for Flammability. This document bag can withstand up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit of heat.
It is made of high-quality fireproof materials. The exterior is constructed with silicone-coated fiberglass which offers your valuables adequate protection against fire and water. It also comes with a sturdy Velcro flap and lockable zippers which you can secure with a combination lock to deter kids from opening the bag.
We also like that it is also lightweight and foldable, making it easier for you to carry in case of a fire emergency or bring when you’re traveling.
- Lockable zippers provide extra security against curious kids.
- Expandable design allows you to fit in more of your valuables.
- Excellent fire-resistance rating. UL 94 V-O rating makes this document bag highly fire-retardant
- It comes with extra pockets. You can store smaller items in the exterior pockets for easier access.
- TSA Lock incompatibility – if you’re looking for a fireproof document bag that uses a TSA lock, then this product is not for you.
- Large front logo – some people may find the brand’s huge logo too distracting
7. SafeHaven Lockable 17x12x5.5″ Fireproof Document Bag
Robust, durable, fireproof, and waterproof, the Safehaven Lockable Fireproof Document Bag is one of the best options in the big document bags category.
If you’re looking for a fire-resistant bag that allows you to store and carry your valuables wherever you go, then Safehaven is an excellent contender. This fireproof bag can withstand extreme temperatures up to 2100 degrees Fahrenheit, so it’s easily one of the best portable fireproof document bags you can use to house your legal documents, money, and jewelry.
One of the best features of this document bag is its size, particularly if you’re looking for a fireproof bag with massive storage capacity. You can even put your precious photo albums, ring binders, and laptop inside.
The brand did not skimp on fire-resistant materials when constructing this document bag. It is made of silicone-coated fiberglass which gives it a smoother, water-resistant, and fire-resistant exterior, while the inside is constructed with an aluminum foil coated layer.
It also comes with a bag-mounted numeric lock for added security, sturdy handles, and a detachable shoulder strap so you can carry it around conveniently. The bag also folds easily when not in use.
- Roomy, expandable storage design. This fireproof document bag has a lot of room to store your valuables.
- High heat resistance. This document bag can withstand the extreme heat of up to 2100 degrees Fahrenheit, making it one of the highest-rated fireproof bags in our selections.
- It comes with a combination lock to reinforce the security of the bag.
- Affordability. This fireproof bag is a good deal for its great storage capacity and durability.
- This document bag might be too bulky for people who don’t need to carry numerous documents every day.
8. Shieldable 2021 TSA-Approved Fireproof Document Bag
The Shieldable Fireproof Document Bag boasts a lot of unique features. It is a roomy and spacious bag that can store numerous documents and valuables, including money, personal records like birth certificates, passports, deeds and property certificates, and many others. It also comes with a U-shaped opening, so it’s easier to put and pull items.
This document bag is fire resistant, thanks to the high-quality fireproof materials used in its construction: PVC coated fiberglass and silicone coated fiberglass. It is also both fireproof and waterproof.
We love that it is easy to carry. It has a sturdy handle so you can carry it with one hand, and you have the option to use the detachable shoulder strap as well. The reflective lining also makes it easy to locate so you can evacuate right away with your important documents.
Perhaps its most unique feature, though, as compared to the other fireproof bags on this list is that the Shieldable Fireproof Document Bag comes with a built-in TSA lock. We think this is a great quality in a fireproof bag as it brings in more sense of security, especially when you’re traveling or staying at an accommodation.
- Comes with a TSA lock to strengthen its security features.
- It has a U-shaped opening so you can easily and quickly access your valuables.
- Made with fireproof and waterproof materials for protection against fire and water damage.
- Large storage capacity – you can store all your important papers and valuables and carry them all in one go.
- Some people might find this document bag too bulky to carry daily, especially on a commute.
Looking for More Fireproof Products?
Check out the following posts!
Fireproof Document Bags and Envelopes Frequently Asked Questions
What is a fireproof document bag?
A fireproof document bag is a bag rated to protect contents from fire and water in a short period of time. This specific document bag is made of fire-resistant materials so that your papers and valuables won’t catch fire easily. It is also often waterproof since there’s also the threat of getting wet when doused by a fire hose or sprinkler system.
Do fireproof bags work?
Yes, fireproof bags work, but only to some extent. Let us remember that anything that’s exposed to high temperatures over a period of time would eventually sustain fire damage. Fireproof bags only work up to a specific temperature level, and often only briefly. It is best to use fireproof document bags and place them inside a fireproof safe to fortify the protection of your valuables.
Are fireproof bags worth it?
Fireproof bags are worth it if you’re looking for a more durable, sturdier place to put your important documents and valuables. A fireproof bag can give you a sense of protection in that your valuables won’t be burned to ashes as easily as most fireproof document bags are made with fire-resistant materials.
Is there such a thing as a fireproof bag?
Even if we hear or read the word fireproof so many times, there is no such thing as truly fireproof. A fireproof document bag can provide added security and an extra layer of protection for your important documents, but if it is exposed to high heat for an extended period of time, your valuables can still get damaged.
We understand that choosing the right fireproof bag can overwhelming, so we hope that this list would give you ideas on what features to look for and how the best fireproof document bags on the market stack against one another.
For smaller document bags, we recommend the Mavekk Document Bag because of its incredible fire resistance and water resistance, premium construction and top-grade materials, and being lightweight and portable. It comes with a cash bag and is a good value for your money.
If you’re looking for bigger document bags with lots of storage, we think that the Shieldable 2021 TSA-Approved Fireproof Document Bag is a wonderful option. This bag has plenty of space to store important documents, it comes with a U-shape opening so you can easily put and place important items, and is highly durable thanks to multiple layers of silicone coated fiberglass it is made with, and also comes with a built-in TSA lock for extra security.
It gives us an immense sense of peace and security to have fireproof document bags to protect our valuables, but we also pray you don’t have to try to test them in a real-life fire emergency. But in any case, investing in fireproof document bags can be one of the best decisions you make today.